Mercury Amalgams and Inflammation – What’s the Risk?

As part of our mission to provide you the best care possible, we have already published many articles about the dangers of amalgam (mercury) fillings and we continue to advise our patients to consider getting rid of this potential health hazard in their mouth.

The main concern we share with holistic experts and professionals is the increased risk of inflammation and serious physical conditions arising from the continuous presence of amalgam fillings in the mouth.

All silver-colored fillings are dental amalgam fillings, and each of these fillings is approximately 50% mercury. Because of this, they’re a constant source of residual mercury exposure. Mercury vapor is emitted from dental amalgam fillings at a rate of 2 to 28 micrograms per facet surface per day, of which about 80% is absorbed and retained in the body, according to the World Health Organization [1, 2]

Over time, these fillings also corrode slightly, releasing mercury into your saliva and airways, where it begins to build up in your body. This continuous exposure can cause a variety of inflammatory diseases which are not easily treated if the damaging influence of mercury in the body persists.

The problem is that your body doesn’t immediately process and eliminate mercury – this can take anywhere from one to four months. If you are you continuously exposed to mercury in small amounts, your body is never able to truly rid itself of this heavy metal, and the buildup continues to accumulate.

Mercury poisoning symptoms can occur as a result of human exposure to this highly toxic element, which is known for its capability to cause harm to the human body even at low doses.  It is important to remember that the type of mercury used in amalgam fillings is elemental (metallic) mercury, which is the same type of mercury used in certain types of thermometers (many of which have been banned). [3]

Heavy metals such as mercury essentially create a constant state of inflammation, causing problems with your nervous system in particular. Continuous exposure to mercury can result in a number of  diseases and health issues including allergies, anxiety, cardiovascular disease, depression, hair loss, infertility and autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s, Graves’, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren’s, and more.

There is also some evidence to suggest that mercury disrupts your gut microbiome, leaving an opening for Candida and harmful bacteria to overgrow.[4]  Mercury can also damage your gut lining, leading to leaky gut and allowing Candida to become a systemic problem.[5]

When you or someone in your family exhibits the above symptoms due to amalgam fillings, we urge you to come to our practice and get those evaluated for possible removal. Our procedures are fast, virtually painless and will greatly benefit your overall health!


Sources:
World Health Organization. International Programme on Chemical Safety. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1991. Inorganic mercury: environmental health criteria 118.
2 Richardson M. The Safety of Dental Amalgam. Canada: Minister of Health; 1996. (ISBN 0-662-24873-2).
3 Mercury Poisoning Symptoms and Dental Amalgam Fillings– International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
4 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8280208
5  http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2017/mercury0117_3.html