- Posted by Holistic Dental Center
- On July 25, 2016
- 0 Comments
- Gum grafting, Holistic Dental Center New Jersey, treatment for gum recession in NJ
Gum grafting is a technique needed when your gums are receding. Gum recession is the process in which the tissue that surrounds the teeth pulls away from a tooth, exposing more of the tooth or the tooth’s root. This can cause damage to supporting bone. Gum recession is a common dental problem; it affects 4% to 12% of adults and often goes unnoticed until it becomes more severe.
Dr. Gashinsky estimates about 50% of the population has some form of gum recession. This condition is present when the gum and the bone that supports the teeth migrate down the roots exposing them. This can affect anyone from teens to the elderly. The root exposure created by receding gums is the main cause of tooth sensitivity and a major cause for root decay.
Many people don’t even notice that their gums have receded, because it is a gradual process. However, over time, an exposed tooth root can not only look ugly, but can cause tooth sensitivity, especially when eating cold or hot foods. Eventually, gum recession, if not treated, can cause tooth loss. To repair the damage and prevent further dental problems, a gum tissue graft may be needed.
Conventional Gum Grafting
The amount of pain you have after conventional gum grafting depends on the type of gum graft performed. If no tissue is removed from your palate, you should have little to no discomfort. However, if tissue is removed from your palate, you may be uncomfortable for a few days following the procedure. The wound on the roof of your mouth has been described as feeling like a major pizza burn which may or may not heal quickly. You may need anti-inflammatory medication or prescription pain medication to help keep you comfortable in the days following surgery. Finally, there is no guarantee that gum problems won’t develop again in the future.
The Natural Gum Grafting Solution
Dr.Gashinsky is one of the few dentists licensed to offer the alternative to gum grafting, The Chao Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® Technique. This procedure allows Dr. G to gently lift the gum tissue through a small pinhole which he then drapes over the exposed roots. He then places collagen through the pinhole to secure the gums in place.
Over time your body replaces the collagen with your own which allows you to have a secure zone of gum tissue. Dr. G now can restore the gum line to its natural position with a “gum lift” thus ELIMINATING sensitivity and IMPROVING appearance. The results are immediate and the procedure is virtually painless.
Advantages of The Chao Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation are:
- Re-creates a zone of healthy bound down gum tissue that will prevent bacteria from traveling into the
soft tissues of your cheeks and body
- Immediate visible results where the gum line has been re-established to it’s normal position
- Virtually painless and very little down time
- Significant reduction in tooth sensitivity and dental decay on the roots
- Practically eliminates the potential for early tooth loss due to loss of gum attachment.
With regular dental checkups and careful dental care at home, serious damage requiring surgery can be prevented. Other ways to prevent gum disease include:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Visit your dentist routinely for checkups and professional teeth cleaning and see your periodontist as needed.
- Eat a well balanced and healthy diet.
- Don’t smoke.