- Posted by Holistic Dental Center
- On June 5, 2017
- 0 Comments
When you talk about ozone, the first thing that many people think of is air pollution. Yet ozone protects us from harmful sunlight that causes skin cancers. In fact, many critically important uses of this powerful, naturally-occurring gas are not so well known, but they serve us every day.
What Does Ozone Do?
Our own bodies produce ozone at the white-cell level to kill offending microorganisms. Ozone is a natural anti-parasitic, anti-viral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal. In other words, it naturally kills parasites, viruses, bacteria and fungus.
Ozone was used during World War I to clean the soldiers’ wounds since they didn’t have immediate access to medical facilities. When antibiotics became more prevalent, ozone fell out of favor.
Dental Uses of Ozone
It becomes very natural to see how ozone can assist us in dental treatments to ensure a safe and healthy practice. Ozone can be used in three forms: gas, water and oil and is used as follows:
- To help treat periodontal disease by using ozonated water flushed below the gum line and/or ozone gas introduced into the gum tissue and supporting tissues.
- To kill decay-causing bacteria. Since ozone is a gas, it can seep into areas below the gum line, into the grooves of teeth, and over the smooth surfaces of the teeth and will kill bacteria on contact.
- Because ozone can harden weakened tooth structure, flooding a sensitive area or tooth with ozone gas can effectively eliminate sensitivity. We have successfully addressed many patients’ sensitivity issues with ozone therapy.
- Ozone is used in all forms during root canal treatment to kill bacteria, sterilize the canal system, and stimulate faster healing. As a gas, ozone can get to places traditional liquids can’t because the gas can seep into the tiny tubules that cannot otherwise be accessed, thereby getting a truly sterile, bacteria-free root canal system before sealing the canals.
Treating patients with ozone therapy lessens the treatment time with an immense deal of variation and it eradicates the bacterial count more specifically. The treatment is painless and increases the patients’ tolerability and fulfillment with minimal adverse effects.
For more information about the use of ozone in our practice, click here .
“I have been able to successfully treat over 600 patients a month, consistently eliminating their dental infections, speeding their healing from surgery and disinfecting teeth during treatment. It has given me a sense of pride and accomplishment to be able to help so many in such a non-toxic, safe and effective way.” – Dr. Gashinsky
How Do We Use Ozone?
In our practice, ozone is utilized in three forms: (1) ozonated water (2) pure oxygen/ozone gas and (3) ozonated oil. Using these three agents in combination allows Dr. G to treat all oral infections using only supercharged oxygen! Regardless of the location or the type of infection, ozone is able to treat almost any situation.
Ozone therapy is safe and effective and leaves an infection and inflammation free environment that enables the body to heal when used at a therapeutic level.